Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Battle wounds.

I have a surfing injury.
Except it should be called a floating on the surfboard injury. Because I don't actually surf (yet). I just enjoy the rush of paddling out there and sitting on the board rising and falling with the waves and watching the other surfers. It's a really beautiful view looking back at the beach or out to the ocean and so exhillerating. Except when a giant wave comes crashing at you.

As it did yesterday.

My board flipped and the fin nailed me in the arm. It all happened in slo-mo as I was getting somersaulted under the wave.  I floated up to the surface and had a dead arm. Ouch! I couldn't paddle so I just started whimpering and hoisted myself up onto the board. Fortunately my friend wasn't too far away so he came over and consoled me. Then I rode a wave back (not standing, mind you..... but still exciting) and tried to get some blood flowing in my gimp arm. Now I just have a bruise and wrecked bicep (at least for the time being). At least it didn't hit me in the head.

I'm starting to think boogie-boarding might be a better hobby. Or I should take up beading again.

No comments: