Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Monkeys!

My hair is super frizzy right now which means it is going to rain soon.  I have decided to wait it out by distracting myself with talk about monkeys.

There are 4 kinds of monkeys in Costa Rica: white faced, howler, spider and squirrel.  Sometimes I spot them in the trees here at the hotel.  My employee friends walk right by and I get really excited.  Its funny how common place it is to the Ticos to see monkeys hanging out.  From afar, I think the monkeys are adorable. I have yet to see one swinging from the trees with a banana in hand, but I hope that happens soon.

Howler monkeys have a loud call that sends shivers down your spine. They defend their territory by howling back and forth. It is pretty awesome and the ultimate jungle experience. We heard howlers in Tortuguero and I was glad I was on a boat, even though I knew they are just monkeys playing in the trees. I can't imagine how Columbus felt when he discovered the New World and heard those monkeys on shore.

I have decided that monkeys in cages are not to be messed with. Never turn your back to monkeys in a cage. The video below shows a really creepy monkey. There is a bit of swearing involved so only watch if you aren't going to give me a hard time!


No comments: