Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Sunday Morning Beach Cleanup

So it is 10:00am on a Sunday morning. Usually if I am out of bed by this time, that is a major accomplishment. However, I have already cleaned a long stretch of beach, showered, and put some time into my Fulbright application. Not bad!

This morning there was a beach cleanup, so Catherine and I begrudgingly got up at 6:30am to help out. Here are the beach cleaners!  Sean (an intern from Miami), David (a gardener -- super nice), Catherine (!!), and Gerarrdo (the sustainability coordinator).  

During the cleanup I found a shirt and shoes. They were really sandy and looked abandoned but I didn't want to throw them away. Then I saw a guy selling little pots so I asked him if he would like the things. I was pretty psyched about helping out this guy and reusing the things I found. However, 1o minutes later some guy from Tennessee was looking through those same bushes and I realized I had given his things away! I felt like an idiot and spent 1/2 an hour running up and down the beach looing for the guy selling the pots. I finally found him - explained the situation in my broken Spanish - and returned the stuff to the disgruntled Southerner. All in a days work...

Here are a couple more pictures from this morning's cleanup:

Catherine and I at the end of the cleanup. Please notice our awesome Harmony Hotel soccer jerseys that we bought yesterday at the yard sale for less than $1 each. We wore them to be spirited for the trash pickin up.
David, Gerarrdo & Catherine!  She really knows how to have fun.
THIS WAS THE CRAZIEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN. That hermit crab is living in a piece of trash. POLLUTION! Gerarrdo made the point that hermit crabs can get into your house but you can never get into theirs... kind of interesting. I guess they are the least hospitable creatures.
Guiones Beach! Catherine & Co are in the top left corner. Not a bad place of work.






No comments: